Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Biggest Advocate

I should have known my life would have been anything but normal from the chaotic pregnancy that I had. Not only was I pregnant with twins but twin boys at that. The entire pregnancy was totally not what I expected. And I was sure when I went into labor at 26 weeks that my whole world was about to be flipped upside down. I was so scared I couldnt move. At that point I wasnt sure what was going to happen to my little Angels. All i could do was pray. When they were born two weeks later I was thrilled but again mortified because how could they live being so small. They were in the NICU for twelve weeks with breathing issues, NEC, GERD, Pedro needed two blood transfusions and a double hernia repair. They both came home with apnia monitors and it seemed we were leaving all that stuff behind us as they got bigger. At one year old they even got rid of the monitors. Pedro seemed to be the smartest baby in the world while Tito seemed to be the perfect quiet cuddly little baby. Tito babbled and cooed and crawled and walked about three weeks after Pedro. It seemed for the first year Tito was only a little behind Pedro and he was catching up till one day I noticed that he really didn't seem to be doing all the things he did before and just seemed to lag farther and farther behind his brother. I had family and friends telling me that he was just lazy or he was a mommas boy or my favorite is that he's just being a typical boy. My gut finally took over and said hey woman somethings not right have him looked at. And so it began. Testing and testing and more testing. Meanwhile I am having a heart attack because I still hadn't heard a word out of his mouth and then I noticed that every time he did try to say something to anyone the other party would look at me and say "what did he say" And I would just stand there and think why don't you understand my baby? So after all the testing 2 years later on December 19,2011 I heard something that no mother wants to hear "Yes Tito is on the spectrum mam, come back in a month so we can go over the testing results" And so here I am. But I will say this my angel still has that sparkle in his eyes and I know that without him I wouldn't be who I am, HIS BIGGEST ADVOCATE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment